To some the mere mention of the Zone Ordinance Committee will have them running for the hills.

Don’t panic when you need to see the Zone Ordinance Committee. If you have your ducks in a row you will pass the hearings and quickly get started on the job.

The trick is to know when you need to see them and prepare well for the visit.

The times you will need to see the Zone Ordinance Committee are:

  • If A Fence Is Outside Of Regulations Governing Fence Construction
  • Your Land Is In An Area Of Historical Importance
  • When Your Land Is Within A Particular Zone
  • If A Neighbor Objects
  • When There Is A Dispute Over Building Or Maintenance Costs

Let’s take a closer look.

If A Fence Is Outside Of Regulations Governing Fence Construction

The simple way to avoid coming to the attention of the zoning ordinance committee is to stick to the fencing regulations.

A small bit of research beforehand will make you aware of what you should do.

Fence building regulations cover such areas as overall height, the material used in construction and the color of the finished fence.

Other regulations cover the blocking of light and airflow to a neighbors property and the setback space needed when the fence is on a busy street.

Getting the facts right in the planning stage may make a lot of difference in the long run.

 Your Land Is In An Area Of Historical Importance

You should be aware if your land is in an area of historical importance.

There are strict regulations governing what can happen in such zones.

If you do want to build a fence you will need to consult the local ordinance committee. They can advise you on all the fencing regulations in the area. Getting the material, height and type of fence right are very important.

Similar rules may apply when your land abuts common land or a right-of-way.

If in doubt find out, is a good rule to follow and one that may save you a lot of trouble.

When Your Land Is Within A Particular Zone

Fence regulations differ across states, counties and always between zones.

You may need to see the Zone Ordinance Committee if your land is within a commercial zone and you want to erect a fence. The rules will vary in height and materials used.

The committee may allow a fence to be topped off with barbed wire if it is over a certain height and there is a security need.

Fences in areas zoned for educational and recreational use may come with a whole raft of regulations and an appearance in front of the ZOC may be required.

If a fence is on land zoned non-residential and is any way different, a call to see the committee is a definite.

Cedar split rail 2 rail

If A Neighbor Objects

Erecting a fence on a boundary or within sight of a neighbor’s home can cause a lot of problems.

It is always best to consult the neighbor before building.

In many cases, the neighbor may be unhappy and you can solve your differences before construction begins.

When the differences are vast the case may be referred to the zone ordinance committee.

Though this may delay the building process it can be the best way to address any objections.

The alternative is going to court and the costs involved in legal disputes can be high and even be more than the cost of building the fence.

Objections often come with good reason and always take them on board before the situation gets out of hand.

Disputes over maintenance and building costs

It may not always be the zone ordinance committee’s job to preside over costs but they can offer guidance in a disagreement.

The committee can decide using guidelines for who is responsible for the maintenance of the fence.

In cases of old fences, it may not always be clear but a quick referral to your local committee may solve a lot of problems.

Call Us

Give us a call when you are thinking of building a fence.

Our experts can guide you from everything including materials, labor and even local planning regulations.

Our team will give you a great quote and advise on what is best when building a fence.